5.25.2011

There's A Hole in the Ceiling Because I'm Fixing It...

...thanks for asking, Kendra. I did start out this project as simply covering an air return between the bathroom and the playroom. One I got on the ladder and started checking things out, though, I realized we had some old water damage to the bathroom ceiling. I got to removing the damaged plaster, and soon my 12"x10" hole was now about 3'x2'. So, in all, your typical old house project that starts out small and gets bigger and bigger.

In any event, the hole has been patched with drywall, taped, and has a coat of joint compound on it. By the weekend, it should be ready to paint, which is the whole reason I was up on the ladder in the first place.

With the ceiling painted, we can move to the walls, then the trim. Except I'm pretty sure I'm going to pop all that trim off the wall, strip it, and repaint it. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

jennifer gray said...

How funny! I just wrote about a hole in the ceiling, too! The worst part is that our hole has been fixed twice, repaired, painted, etc. But the roof leak is back again:(

Joe said...

Jennifer, read your post on your roof, that is frustrating. You've got to step one, which is to admit the problem--you need a new roof. We were stuck on that step for a couple years, then bit the bullet and re-roofed last December. Now, we can turn our attention to fixing the water spots and sagging ceilings throughout the home. But it is a good chunk of money, that's for sure, and you have my sympathy!

Brendan Gertner said...

Agreed with Joe -- a new roof would be wise. If there's any damage in your roof, your ceiling would get affected when it's raining or snowing. Stuff like ice dams can be pretty frustrating to deal with since it could cause more leaking in your ceiling. Getting a roofer to check things out might be the best solution. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I hope your ceiling and walls are okay!