3.20.2008

Door Drama

It's been over two weeks since I posted last, yet I feel like we haven't done anything. Well, that's not entirely true. We have installed new wireless doorbells, but that barely counts as home improvement. Kendra laid out the latest in doors, lights, and closets, but most of that post concerned work that was done by others. I did manage to run new wire and install a light in the hall coat closet; that's got to count for something, I suppose.

So what has actually been keeping us busy lately? Those stinkin' doors. Here's the situation--there are no doors on the kitchen pantry, upstairs bathroom (well, there used to be a door there until I got it in my head that I needed to switch it out with another door, and then it turned out the replacement door didn't fit), Max's closet, or the master closet. The big priority is the bathroom door, of course. That one has Kendra a little steamed at me because that is the bathroom she uses the most. The second priority is the pantry door, because (1) our dog likes to drag things out of the pantry that we leave on the lower shelves, and (2) Max flips out when he looks in the pantry and sees good things to eat (he says, "Naa! Naa!", which roughly translates into "Snack! Snack!" in 14-month-old-speak).

As I've said before, we purchased and painted a new bi-fold door for the pantry but, since we live in an old home, the doorways aren't "standard" sized. So we had to cut the door down a bit, but I didn't get it right and we have to shave a little bit more off the side. Not a big deal, except that I don't own a saw. That was frustrating enough, but that is nothing compared to the ordeal that has become our door situation.

A couple weeks ago, I finally went to Lowe's to buy a door for the upstairs bathroom. As you might suspect, that doorway is not "standard" either, so as I was picking out a new door, the thought occurred to me that I could have Lowe's cut it so I wouldn't have to borrow the saw from my brother again. I pulled out my phone, called Kendra, and asked her to measure the opening. Apparently, though, there was a miscommunication, and I ended up bringing home a door that was about 1/2" too narrow for the bathroom. We both blamed each other for the door screw-up, natch. This did not enhance our marital harmony that week.

Fortunately, the too-small door will fit the master closet if we just trim it down a bit more, so buying it wasn't a complete waste. But that still left us without a door for the upstairs bath. So off to Lowe's I went (again), with my twice-measured door dimensions handy, to get a new door for the bathroom. I got the door home and Kendra primed and painted it.

So after all that, here's where we stand: we have a bi-fold pantry door that is primed and painted, but still is a tad too wide for the opening. It will need to be trimmed about a 1/4" and then installed. We have a primed and painted door for our upstairs bathroom. It may need to be trimmed slightly, but should be the proper dimensions. We will need to chisel mortises for the hinges and attach one of the extra rim locks we have to the door. And we also have a primed and painted door for the master closet. Installing that door is very, very far down our priority list, and will involve installing stops inside the frame, mortising hinges, and installing a knob.

No comments: