11.18.2007

Duct Details

The last two weeks have seen very little work done to the house, as we've only been able to shake free a few hours each weekend. We're hoping to really get some work in over the holiday weekend, so the pace of posting should pick up a little bit.

This weekend, I went down into the basement to check the size of the air filter for the HVAC unit. When I got down there and starting looking around, however, I saw this:

The vent on the right is connected to the HVAC unit, and was blowing out warm air. The vent on the left was just sitting there, disconnected from anything. Just above the rear end of the vent on the left, I saw this:
See that fitting in the center of the picture? Yeah, that's the vent that goes straight into the parlor.

So what did we learn today, kids? Not only is there no active source of heating/cooling to the parlor, but we are also apparently heating the basement. Who knows how long these vents haven't been attached and how much money has been wasted over who-knows-how-many years to blow hot and cold air down there. Looks like I'll need to add one more project to the (growing) list, and run a new duct to the vent. I guess it's just another opportunity to expand my mad home-improvement skills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I love what you're doing with the house!

Have you considered listing it in the Home Name Registry? I think your home is perfect for it.

The website is www.homenameregistry.com

Billy!

Bungalow Monster said...

You probably already know this... but... the white mastic/wrap material shown dangling in the pic of your "failed" HVAC pipe, usually contains asbestos ( I speak from experience) That stuff is friable and can get blown about the house, especially when exposed in the ducting. Anyway... I just want you to be safe!

In case you haven't tended to it yet, there are lots of ways you could take care of it for little money.

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know.