11.06.2007

Hardware Spa Day, Revisited

After the painted hardware enjoyed a relaxing 24-hour soak in the crockpot, I took a nylon brush and started scrubbing. I think the results speak for themselves.

Before the soak:

And after the soak:


Even though the "crockpot" method removed most of the paint, it took a little more elbow grease than I had hoped. It was pretty effective at removing newer latex paint, but older finishes were a bit more stubborn. Overall, I would recommend this as a good way to remove paint from metal without worrying about harsh chemicals. This Old House has step-by-step instructions for this procedure.

3 comments:

kam said...

Hey guys, welcome to the blogosphere! The house looks great, can't wait to visit ... I will expect some sort of frozen peach concoction upon arrival...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe this worked, I'm shocked.

Sinjin Eberle said...

I have done this with laundry detergent instead of 'liquid soap' - seems to work a bit faster...