11.06.2007

Spa Day (for Hardware)

Many of the rooms in the house have painted trim and doors (ugh). What's more, most of the time the previous owners did not remove any of the door hardware before slathering it in paint. So even though we have all these beautiful antique doorknobs, escutcheon plates, and locks, they are covered in paint.

The thought of stripping these with some type of noxious, chemical solvent wasn't very appealing to me. I decided to surf the web to see what our options were and I found some advice from this Old House. According to them, I just need to plop the hardware in a crock pot with some water and laundry soap, let it simmer overnight, and the paint will come off with some gentle brushing. I'm a little skeptical, but these guys know what they are talking about, right? The hardware from the playroom--f/k/a the Jayhawk Room--is cooking right now. I'll update y'all tonight on whether this works or not.

No comments: